Thursday, June 30, 2005

urgent, urgent, emergency! (6/30/05)

http://www.wheredidthetimego.com/

I am 100% sloth. But that’s not that surprising.

+=============================+
According to a news source, I have become fodder for the paparazzi in Greece. Reportedly the Greek media has picked up (via Google) a dedication in my email (via blogger.com:
http://girlladyfriend.blogspot.com) to George Costacos (my friend who was in the opening ceremony of the Athens Olympics). The NY office for Costacos has been flooded by calls about me and my friendship with George; however, we have tastefully declined comment.

+=============================+
THE HORROR IN THE GARAGE: PART 2

I went home to Jacksonville last Friday. I thought it was going to be an easy visit, just hanging out with the folks, getting some errands done, but otherwise nothing too bad. But then Saturday morning, my father looked at me and said eagerly, “So, let’s go clean the garage!” I thought he was joking. But he wasn’t. He was serious. I think my family thinks my sole purpose in life is cleaning the damn garage. So, given no choice, I went back to the garage.

Well, last time we were there, the attic was cleaned out BY ME and a lot of the junk in the garage was cleaned out BY ME. Well, this time, my father and I went through the smaller boxes of stuff I was too tired to go through last time. And it was with good cause that I didn’t go through these boxes, because unbeknownst to me, my parents saved every receipt, statement, cancelled check, tax return INCLUDING forms, from 1972 to today. I am not kidding. There was a 1974 Ohio state tax form booklet in one of the boxes. There was a grocery receipt from 1980 that showed a purchase of a dozen extra large eggs, $0.79. And carbon copies of gas station receipts. Cancelled checks which paid rent in the Henry Hudson Hotel, which back in the early 70s was subsidized hospital housing (today, it is
http://www.hudsonhotel.com/ *). YEARS OF LITTLE PIECES OF PAPER STASHED AWAY INSIDE PAPER BAGS INSIDE A LARGER BOX.

And because they had credit card numbers and signatures on them, we had to shred each and every statement, etc. by hand. Yes, my parents do own a shredder, but we tried using that and after an hour of consistent shredding, it turned itself off due to overheating. The shredder came back to life after it cooled down, but we had to forge on with the hand shredding.

This shredding went on for two days. We only got from 1972-1980. I know when I go back to FL, 1980-today is waiting. So frightening. The horror, the horror….


* Now I hate this hotel because it used to be all low income housing until the hotel owners bought the property. They kicked out almost all of the tenants and kept a small portion of the hotel as low income housing – not only due to pressures from the tenants but also because they get a nice chunk of change back from the city for keeping the low income housing. And of course, the low income housing tenants have a separate entrance from the hotel).

+=============================+
When I was in Jacksonville, I ran into someone at the Jacksonville International (HA) airport. It was James Joyner, whom I went to school with from 2nd grade (or was it first?) through 12th grade. First of all I never run into anyone I know at the airport. Never happens. Especially in Jacksonville. I keep on the lookout, just in case there is someone I don’t want to speak to. Anyway, I was walking off the jetway and there was James, who I was actually happy to see. So, for those in Jax who are looking for a pediatrician, he is opening his own practice in Arlington.

+=============================+
This week’s horoscopes go out to:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEX!
The Marthas
My brother Mike
Can’t wait to see you, Annie, Dabney, Jen Brown, and the rest of the gang in green, green Vermont!

+=============================+
Checkout your weekly Rob Brezsny horoscope at
www.freewillastrology.com/horoscopes/printer-friendly.html

Free Will Astrology
Horoscopes for week of June 30, 2005
By Rob Brezsny
© 1995-2004, Rob Brezsny. All rights reserved.


No comments: