Thursday, August 1, 2013

Nomi + Me = 1 happy year (WARNING - This is a cat post)

I'm a bad cat momma - I forgot the day I adopted Nomi.  (Yes I just said "momma" - don't judge) I adopted Nomi on July 27, 2012.  It was an impulse decision made on the day I was getting a tetanus shot due to scratches I got from a previous cat I had adopted.  (in 2012, I adopted 3 cats and fostered 1.  Again, don't judge.)  I got a call from the Humane Society of New York, where a co-worker volunteered, and the coordinator said to me, I don't normally do this, but I have the perfect cat for you and, if you like her, you can take her home today.

Now, according to my co-worker friend, HS never allows same-day adoption and they are very picky about to whom they let adopt their wards.  So I thought - welllllll, it can't hurt to see this cat.

And of course I fell in love.

Nomi's photo from the HSNY website
She was a very timid cat who was getting beat up by the other cats, but she was gentle and didn't try to scratch me or eat my hair (another cat).  So, I adopted her.

Now I have to note that all of my friends who knew I was going through this cat adoption process (at this point three cats have resided at my home) said to me - NO MORE CATS until after my surgery.

I have a hard time following directions.

So I brought Nomi (her original name was Kesha, after the singer.  No joke) home and as the books say, put her in the bathroom for a couple of days so that she felt safe.

She took to the bathroom quite well.

And then she slowly left the bathroom and went into my living room.  I have a giant PAX wardrobe with mirrored doors.  Well the cat in the mirror freaked Nomi out, to the point where she was frozen to the spot.  For an hour.  I finally rescued her, showed her that the mirror cat wasn't real and put her back in the bathroom.












She eventually mellowed out.

And got very comfortable.





I'm not sure which part is which.


















I even took her to FL.  She was freaked out but eventually relaxed.











Where's Nomi?















Nomi at home, meatloafing around.


She's turned into one helluva cat.  She's still timid around people, other than me, and she still isn't a lap sitter, but she is affectionate and very well-behaved (except for the hairballs).  I lucked out.  (Although, personally, I think she lucked out more than I did, but she is an awesome cat.)








So for a dog person, I have come to love a cat.  (She does fetch, so I've at least got that)

Happy one-year together, Nomi!

Love you.


No comments: