Wednesday, August 13, 2003

I'm special, sooooo special..... (8/13/03)

Someone you know is turning 31 on Friday. She is quite pleased about this, but not jump up and down happy (see story below). However, time is relative and relatives are good in small doses. So, let's sing me the birthday song:
1...2...3...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU (MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU (MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MICHELLE (MEEEEEEEEEEEEE)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU (MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE)


:-)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This week's horoscopes are dedicated to:

>> Mark - try and stay cool in London. Obviously the gods took someone seriously when they prayed for the rain to stop
>> Ertischek - congratulations on the condo!
>> Sandy - good luck with the painting!
>> Lori - thanks for the ring - Wonder Twin powers activate!
>> Lynn - Go, Lynn, Go, Mini-Tri Queen!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
I tried this new exercise thing yesterday at my gym (yes, I actually worked out). It's called Urban Rebound. Basically it's aerobics on a mini-trampoline. The instructor was this tiny, cute, little compact girl.

She wasn't skinny small, more Tonka truck hard, really. Sort of scary cute. You know she was the captain of her cheerleading squad, smiling widely on top of the human pyramid or being tossed high in the air by big bulky guys who joined the squad to get chicks or there wasn't a gymnastics team at their high school so they joined cheerleading. She seemed to be the kind who would be encouraging one minute and in the next shouting "GO TEAM" in a terrifying roar.

Anyway, she assured me that the class would be easy on my knee (I have a bad knee - I don't know why, but one day, it hurt and then it got worse. Turns out I have a luxating patella. It's an injury that small dogs usually get), but a little hard to get used to. Of course, she said, go at your own pace. Which you know is license for me to slack off.

Well, you would think that bouncing on a mini-trampoline would be fairly easy. Well, you're wrong. It's quite intense as you are bouncing (not too high up, mind you. Your head is to stay level while your legs do this continually squatting jump), kicking your legs this way and that and flinging your arms this way and that. And then there are these intense short sprints where you go triple time. Well, other people went triple time. I went a little faster. I didn't keep in time with the music or the instructor or anyone else in the room. I was creating moves that no one else was or should be doing. I went at my own pace, laughing all the way.

Everyone was so serious. They were concentrating really hard on all of the actions and pushing themselves to be stronger and faster. But what made it all funny is that we were all on little trampolines, bouncing, bouncing, bouncing. It was an intensely funny thing to watch.
I had a great time. I kept my own pace through the whole thing, sweating buckets all the way. The person next to me said it takes 3-5 classes to get the motions. I am going again. Why not? It's fun jumping on a trampoline.

No comments: