Wednesday, August 27, 2003

TAX FREE HOROSCOPES! (8/23/03)

Oops - about to let another Wednesday go without a horoscope. With quitting smoking, my brain is finally coming out of the fog. But it’s been a very, very slow process. I don’t wish this process on anyone, well, anyone who doesn’t smoke. If you do smoke, do consider quitting. Although TERRIBLY hard, once you succeed, you won’t regret it.
However, if you don’t want to quit, then don’t. I don’t think anyone can force someone who smokes to quit. That person has to be damn well ready to quit.

========================
So, last week I asked the following:
It’s 3 AM, you hear gun shots outside. Would you leave your apartment/house and find out what is going on? Would you stay inside your house and call the police? Would you even wake up? I am curious. Please let me know.

Some of you answered:
-- NO I will to run down 5 flights in the wee hours of the morning to check out some action on the gritty street of the crack central. -- No, will not go out to check activity. likely to gawk from a safe window, or gawk at the site 3 days later!
-- If I heard gunshots outside at 3 am, I would look out my window and see if I could see anything. If I could see the trouble, I would definitely call 911. Otherwise, I would take my cell phone and go outside, cautiously. And then call 911 as I applied pressure to the bleeding person’s wound. :-)
I tend to be the kind of person who stops and gets out of her car to help at
an accident-if there aren’t already police or other a bunch of other people
helping. Or if a woman or family or decent looking guy is broken down on
the side of the road, I stop to offer my cell phone. Geez I sound like a
goody-goody. And I guess I kinda am. I like the feeling of helping
someone; it makes my own troubles seem less significant. But really it’s
that I like to be where the action is. I like the rush of crisis. So
there you go.
-- Running out into a gun battle without a gun -foolishness.

My answer: I would sleep through the whole thing. Once, when I lived in Greenpoint (Brooklyn) above the Greenpoint stop on the G train, I woke up to find my roommate dragging herself around the kitchen. She looked like she hadn’t slept a wink. I asked her what was wrong and she said to me incredulously, “You didn’t hear the gunshots and commotion last night?” Nope. I sleep like a log. A giant sequoia with moss all over it. Turns out that there were gunshots in the subway around 1 AM and then cops and ambulances and fire trucks showed up outside out door. Or window really. We lived on the second floor.
And I didn’t hear a thing.

========================
This week’s horoscopes go out to:
> The sun, for coming out and giving us one nice weekend this summer. It
was glorious.
> Ertischek, great seeing you
> Mark, thanks for the book!
> Mars, I want to be close to you, just you and nobody else but you!
> SUNITA AND GREG!!!! 4 MORE DAYS, 4 MORE DAYS!!!!! (They are getting
married on Sunday)

========================
Note: If you ever plan on sending me something, please do not send it to my home address, but rather my work address. As I have no doorman or super (i.e., I am very, very low on the NYC housing totem pole. I am a couple of levels shy of living in a cardboard box. Actually, I do live in a square-ish shaped apartment, but at least mine is in Manhattan, thus keeping me a little higher on the unreal estate scale), large mail is attempted, but usually is sent back to the sender. Now, this is not a plea for presents :) or a plea for empty boxes to be mailed to me. But just a note to let you know that I live in a place where I can’t get mail.Another note: just in case you don’t know, I changed jobs a year ago. If you need my new work phone/address, please let me know.

No comments: