Thursday, September 23, 2004

I am scared of my step class (9-23-04)

So, yesterday, I wore a red t-shirt and black pants. I didn't really
think anything of it until I got to work and looked at the full length
mirror (actually it's more like a mirror wall) and noticed I looked like
a greeter for a Chinese restaurant Do you want eggroll or soup? And I
wasn't the only one. Now, I should preface this by saying that red is
a lucky color in the Chinese culture. And I was wearing a red, red
t-shirt.

The UN General Assembly 59th session started on Monday, September 21,
2004 and it has wreaked traffic havoc in Midtown. There are cops on
every corner and yesterday, the same day I was dressed like a Mao youth,
the Falun Gong (a mind, body and spirit group that is being persecuted
in China - why? Well, I would tell you, but that would take more
minutes than I care to spare these days) were protesting in my work
neighborhood. They aren't allowed near the UN; but were allowed two blocks
around the UN. And the Falun Gong was EVERYWHERE. When I went out at
lunch, they just smiled at me and tried to hand me their information. But
after work, I think they were dismayed at the lack of interest so when
they saw me, Super Asian Girl in her red and black outfit. I think in
their heads they collectively thought - ASIAN GIRL, RED=CHINESE, GET
HER! Because on each block, a member of the Falun Gong was chasing after
me (chasing because the minute I would see one, I would hustle my way
out of her general direction), trying several different dialects of
Chinese, then Japanese and finally "Korean?!" At first, I thought it was
an anomaly. The first member of Falun Gong darted after me and the
faster I walked, the faster she walked. Finally I escaped her by quickly
crossing the street, but then there was another one. And I didn't think
that this one would chase me too, but she did. Luckily, I was close to
the subway and could escape.

It's not fun being chased by a person who strongly believes in mind,
body and spirit principles. They can be fierce. And they are quick
walkers.

UN General Assembly information
=========================
For those of you who are having back, arm, wrist and butt problems due
to sitting at a desk all day (like me!), here is a guide for better
sitting posture.

Reducing back pain while sitting in office chairs

=========================
This week's horoscopes go out to:
Saumya
Sandy
John, Doug and Annie
Ann, Dabney and Fiedler
Bob and Russell
Michelle E.
Fresh Direct
Martha A

No comments: