Thursday, January 25, 2007

Ironman lives again. (1-25-07)

Oh, what a week. Because of the overwhelming complaints by my intestinal system due to Nutrisystem, I switched to Jenny Craig. You know the one -- they have Kirstie Alley as their pitch woman. So far, so good. The JC food is MUCH better (Nutrisystem tastes ok, but looks like cat vomit) and my intestines have quieted down. You can barely hear them over the street noise now! What an improvement (for me at least, not those down wind of me)!

+======================+
Also, my bro (Frike), sis-in-law (Fren) and nephew (Fraham) have been in town visiting from chilly, chilly Iowa. Yes, they are practically the only Asians in the Greater Des Moines area. You can see them from miles away -- they are the ones with black hair.

Well, you would think that they came a-visitin' to see family and friends, right? Well, partially. But the REAL reason they came to visit was KOREAN FOOD. There seems to be a general lack of Korean food in Iowa. Are you surprised? They have to travel to Chicago to get to a Korean restaurant.

What amuses me most about this is that when we were kids, we used to make fun of my parents for doing the same thing -- traveling far distances just to get mediocre, if not horrible, Korean food (In NYC, it's pretty good; but wait until you have tried Korean food in a tiny Georgia town - mmmmm. not). It wouldn't matter where we were -- if there was a Korean restaurant, we went. Even if it was an hour out of our way. As a kid, I thought - what's the big deal? There are so many other great restaurants to go to -- McDonald's! Wendy's! Pizza! But my parents would sadly shake their heads, rueing the day that they ever stepped on this continent, exposing their young to American culture.

However, now I understand. Korean food is so hard to make -- you have to pound and mush and blend and marinate all sorts of little things in order to get the smallest dish ready. Don't even get me started on kimchee (scroll down for Kimchee recipe) or the spinach side dish . Let me tell you - cleaning 2 bunches of spinach, cooking it and getting back barely a cup full is not worth the effort.

So, I am not the least bit offended that my family comes to New York to eat Korean food. At least I get to see them between bites.

Here's a slideshow of my nephew Fraham -- I think he will either grow up to be a Jedi or a drummer. Not sure yet.

+================================+
Freileen Frillis (aka "Maria Elena") is playing with her band, Pistolera, at the Mercury Lounge (NYC) tomorrow night at 10:30 PM. $10 cover. Check 'em out!

+================================+
Sugar to cure Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)!!!

+================================+
This week's horoscopes go out to:
Frichelle Frertischek
Frandy Free
Frike, Fren and Fraham

+================================+
Check out your weekly horoscope at
FREE WILL ASTROLOGY
Week beginning January 25
Copyright 2007 by Rob Brezsny

No comments: