Friday, June 20, 2008

IWA or BUST

Since my mom AND my dad are sick, my bro, sis in law and I decided it would be best to relocate the parents to IWA. But how to get them there? First, because of their conditions, mom and dad can't fly. Driving was the only option, but dad and mom needed to be able to walk around and keep their circulation up. So, first, we thought: camper! Bro and I would take turns driving. Then dad got it into his head that he wanted a giant RV. Like COUNTRY ROCK STAR AND ENTOURAGE RV. HUGE. We looked into it and found out that the prices were slightly more than four tickets to IWA, but an RV would let them walk around and rest. We also decided to get a driver since my bro and I thought an RV would be beyond us.

Once we got the mode of transportation down, we had to pack them up. Or should I say, I had to pack them up. What hell that was. Dad refuses to throw any clothes away so I had to go through mounds of golf shirts, t-shirts and khaki pants of all shapes and sizes. My mother on the other hand lets me get rid of her stuff; so her pile was easier to get through.

Then I had to go through all of their medical supplies and general supplies; make sure my mom's golf clubs (dad bought them in hopes of encouraging her to play. needless to say, she never touched them) were packed for my sis in law; packed up the air bed; packed up linens and comforters; packed up my mom's pillows (special ones for her butt and back); packed up RV supplies (water, clorox wipes, trash bags, liquid soap, hand sanitizer, snacks, breakfast things, sodas, towels, etc.); and determine which bags go in the undercarriage and which ones go into the cabin.

Through all of this, I yelled at my brother for doing nothing (ok, he packed up the parents' computer, arranged for and packed the RV and played or watched golf), pulled my neck out and did at least 15 loads of laundry.

But they were ready to go. And here is the RV which held all of their belongings.

View of RV

This thing came fully loaded, with flat screen tvs in the main lounge area and a smaller one in the bedroom. There was a mini kitchen, eating area, leather sofas, shower, and nice toilette. There was even a washer/dryer combo machine!

They even went so far as adding wood molding and swag curtains.

detail of master work in the RV

Here's a photo of the rv, looking from the bedroom to the front.

View from bedroom on RV

Here's the mini kitchen area where I obsessively labeled where things were so that I wouldn't be asked every 5 minutes, "Michelle, where's [fill-in-the-blank]?"

labels for rv

Here's an interior view of the cabin, expanded. The RV had wings that would be expanded when parked, doubling the size of the cabin. Once the RV was fully expanded, I realized that the RV had more square footage than my apartment!

View of RV, expanded

It took us two hours to pack everything into the RV. Which was another kind of hell.

Which brings us to the beginning of the Frark National Lampoon's Vacation. More about that in the next entry. In the meantime, here is a photo from the road, leaving Clermont.

drive to clermont

More fun to be continued...

4 comments:

Notyomomma said...

The trip sounds both awesome and horrible! I'm a little bit envious and actually kinda scared for you.

By the way, I had a brain freeze and looked up IWA on the internets. Here's what I found: http://www.playiwa.com/ (something else frightening, yet fascinating).

docpark said...

I protest. I did no packing and played more golf than you suggest. Remember, I am the macro, Idea guy.

Terra said...

That RV is sooo super sweet. I want one. Any ideas where can you parallel park an RV in NY?

Unknown said...

Get one! I am sure you can find parking somewhere ;)